Friday, July 3, 2009

Drawing a Blank or How I Tried to Solve a Mystery, End a Feud, and Land the Girl of My Dreams by Daniel Ehrenhaft

Drawing a Blank or How I Tried to Solve a Mystery, End a Feud, and Land the Girl of My Dreams is a unique book with two titles, which was common of books in the past but is rather uncommon today. This book is about a teenager who goes to boarding school in New England and likes to keep to himself drawing comics, but circumstances require him to come out of his comfort zone. In addition to being an interesting story, I found this to be a fun book to read because there are footnotes which help give background to the story, as well as comic strips interspersed throughout. Also, the chapters are short so it goes fast.
I would encourage this for young people because it teaches new vocabulary words (e.g. "misanthrope") and history in a fun way, so the reader is learning without realizing that he/she is learning. There are several characters that are very different from each other, so whoever reads it will likely find someone that he/she can identify with.
Review by David Dunkerton

No comments:

Post a Comment