Wednesday, July 8, 2009

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

An Abundance of Katherines is an excellent book that deals with things teens go through in a very unique way. There are characters with many different backgrounds and worldviews, including a Muslim and an atheist, people from both city and rural settings, and people from private school, public school, and homeschool. The writing style was interesting, including the use of footnotes to expand upon the story (a technique I also saw in Drawing a Blank or How I Tried to Solve a Mystery, End a Feud, and Land the Girl of My Dreams by Daniel Ehrenhaft), and flashbacks. I could identify with several of the characters in different ways.
I must say there was some twisted logic in the story, but overall it had a good message, and at least they got the "Golden Rule" right.
This is about a child prodigy who was no longer a child, and he was trying to figure out his life. One quote that meant a lot to me was “…how you matter is defined by the things that matter to you.” (p. 200) The moral of the story that I found is that you can come up with theories and patterns to explain the past, but the future is unpredictable.
Review by David Dunkerton

No comments:

Post a Comment